The Grove City Area United Way employees and representatives strive to set an example by their high standards of performance, professionalism, volunteer and charitable activities, helping of the less fortunate and ethical conduct. This Code of Ethics is the policy of the Grove City Area United Way and expresses fundamental values. Accordingly, this code guides the conduct of all employees and representatives of the Grove City Area United Way and is intended to foster an environment that promotes ethical conduct in carrying out responsibilities.
A personal commitment to integrity in all circumstances benefits each individual as well as the organization. Grove City Area United Way employees and representatives will:
• Ensure truth, fairness and objectivity in all activities.
• Set an example for high standards or professionalism.
• Honor the right of privacy of all people, including co-workers, contributors and beneficiaries.
• Promote public confidence in philanthropic institutions.
The Grove City Area United Way promotes professional excellence and encourages open and honest communication among all board members and employees to create an atmosphere conducive to personal growth. Grove City Area United Way representatives and employees will:
• Refuse to engage in or tolerate any fraud, misuse, abuse or waste of United Way resources.
• Encourage growth and self-improvement in themselves and their co-workers.
• Comply with all other laws and regulations affecting the organization.
Accountability and Efficiency
The Grove City Area United Way has responsibilities to all donors, volunteers, community members and other stake holders. These customers have placed faith in the Grove City Area United Way. To uphold this trust, Grove City Area United Way employees and representatives will:
• Make fair and full disclosure of all relevant information to customers, who have a right to know how their dollars are spent.
• Spend customer’s money wisely, efficiently and objectively.
Responsibilities of Volunteers
Volunteers also set an example through their ethical conduct and professionalism. Grove City Area United Way volunteers will:
• Review the Code of Ethics and bylaws and ensue that they adhere to the spirit of them when making policy or otherwise managing the affairs of the organization.
The Grove City Area United Way is an equal opportunity employer. The Grove City Area United Way employees and representatives will:
• Respect all co-workers and all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or status as a qualified disabled or handicapped individual.
• Refuse to engage in or tolerate in others any form of sexual harassment, as provided in the organization’s policy against sexual harassment.
• Strive to create an environment conducive to professionalism.
Conflict of Interest
To avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest which would tarnish the image of the organization and undermine the public’s trust in all United Way organizations, the Grove City Area United Way employees and representatives will:
• Avoid any activity or outside interest which conflicts or appears to conflict with the best interest of the Grove City Area including involvement with a current or potential United Way vendor, grantee or competing organization.
• Each member of the Board of Directors and staff of the Grove City Area United Way must disclose, in writing to the Board, any possible conflict of interest. This disclosure must be updated annually.
• When such conflict of interest is relevant to a matter requiring action by the Board of Directors, the interested director shall bring it to the attention of the board. The interested director will not participate in any discussion or vote on such matter.
Confidentiality is a hallmark of professionalism. The Grove City Area United Way employees and representative will:
• Ensure that all information which is confidential or privileged or which is not publicly available is not disclosed inappropriately.
The Grove City Area United Way Board of Directors will review the Code of Ethics periodically and ensure that adherence to the spirit of the code has been met when making policy or otherwise managing the affairs of the organization. Additionally, reporting of breaches of the code is encouraged and protection for those who report will be provided.